Pages

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Job Cuts To End By Easter?

I saw via a Yahoo newsfeed that Sky News has a report today that the worst of the UK job losses should be over by Easter. This is based on a report from the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development and seems to be entirely based on the fact that the UK downturn followed three months behind the US downturn, and that Job loses slowed in the US last quarter of 2008.

Anyway, I went to the CIPD website tonight to see if there was any more details to be found, after all their report has made the international news; but I can't even see that this report has made the news section of the CIPD's own website. Thus my conclusion can only be, no upturn currently in sight.





Personally the ground for optimism seem to me to be a bit unsound. An upturn in the US in Q4 could be linked to other seasonal high-spending factors such as Christmas and the Presidential Election. It just seemed a little odd that such a big news outlet would carry such a prediction when the authoritative body making the prediction is not even carrying it on their own website. Or am I reading too much into this?

No comments: