Pages

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Voting At The EU Election

I am the kind of person who thinks that it is important that people vote, and that we draw our legislators and political leaders from as many voters as possible. Ballot decisions are representative of the will of society and the higher the turnout in percentage terms, the greater that legitimacy. Despite this, ever since the EU elections earlier this year something has been nagging at me a bit that has made me think a bit differently about this.

It is very, very rare for the bland suits in Brussels to show their fear, but right before the last two EU elections it was noticeable that there is a fear in Brussels about the EU Parliament elections. There are always stories about how if we vote in a bloc of EU Sceptic MEPs certain things will happen, that then never happen and the dialogue turns to "full engagement" and "setting Europe’s direction" which means nothing to the man on the street as we all know that MEPs cannot be influenced by individuals. It is all about lobbyists, corporate handshakes and political movements.

I never really believed the line about the EU "fearing" a British EU Sceptic bloc in the EU Parliament as we could return 78 UKIP MEP's and still have less than 10% of the Parliaments voting power aligned to British EU Sceptic views. As I have said many times, the Parliament is a front, to give the impression of representative democracy where there really is none.

I have now concluded that the fear that I sensed from Brussels is simply this. They need us to turn out to vote to give their window dressing legitimacy. If the people of the EU did not participate in their sham every five years, they could not point to the EU Parliament; and if they can’t point to the EU Parliament they have no pretence for democracy. So, I have already decided that despite my lifelong belief that people should vote, the only way to see the UK out of the EU is to encourage a mass effort of spoilt ballot papers.

In 2004 the UK turnout was 38% and in 2009 it was 34%. Slovakia only managed a 19% turn out, and overall about 45% turned out across the EU. So, I reckon if through encouragement we can get the vote to below 15% for the UK, and if we have not had a referendum by then (looking doubtful) then this might just force the issue. The problem of course is that if the EU sceptic vote does not turn out, then Labour and the Liberals will do well. But frankly does it really make much difference having the EU Sceptic wing their other than the to miss seeing the excellent speeches that Daniel Hannan and Nigel Farage deliver? - Whatever opposition they put up is almost always brushed aside. If not through the Parliament the EU has other ways.

If, by a different analogy which is clearly not the same, but also not a stretch of a million miles; we were, instead of having been lied to and had sovereignty and control handed over by the back door had, instead, had the exact same amount of control seized by a foreign army, and were invited as a conquered nation through a Vichy leadership to partake in the ceremonious electing of representatives to send off to a centralised legislature people who would act as rubber stamp to laws scribed by the totalitarianists who deemed we all must live under the same rule; would we not then accept the only course of action would be to astatine completely from the process itself? So, why are we not actively seeking to disengage ourselves?

There is not a single piece of law or action that the EU has desired that has not eventually been brought it by some manner when opposition has been fronted. The inability to point to a single thing the EU elite has wanted, that they have not got, eventually, proves that the whole regime is rooted to a totalitarianistic agenda, and staffed by despots.

So sorry to UKIP, The Conservatives, and Jury Team who have had my vote in recent years. Though of course your names will not be on the paper, as that is now forbidden as we must elect by EU Groupings rather that by national party (to encourage the groupings to move towards being more Political Party like in a pan-EU sense). I shall make the effort to go to the ballot box in 2014, but I shall be writing upon my paper that I do not recognise the election, nor do I consent to be governed by any other Legislature other than the UK Parliament.

I write this of course in the hope that it will stir some mass call for people to do the same, which I doubt is going to happen, but my mind is made up and I hope others give this some thought too.

1 comment:

TheBoilingFrog said...

Great post Daniel, I too have the sense of conflict, on the one hand I feel a sense of duty to vote, but I don't want to give legitimacy to the EU by doing so

I've normally boycotted EU elections in the past on principle, but I decided to vote for the first time last year. Both courses of action felt wrong.

I look at it as my MK Dons dilemma. The existence of MK Dons is anathema to me of everything football should be about for obvious reasons. So when my team play them the dilemma is this; as I don't want them to exist I don't want to give them my hard earned cash, so should I boycott? Or as it sill means 3 points for my team do I go, to give them support. It's a dilemma I've not yet resolved.

Your suggestion of the spoiled ballot is a great idea, though hopefully by some miracle the UK will have no reason to partake in the 2014 elections.