Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Question

Is there a convention of when Christmas decorations should be put up in one's home?  I assumed there isn't one because they seem to be going up from October in different places.  I know they are supposed to come down on the 12th day, but I am not clear of when they should go up.

I am of the mindset to leave it as late as possible as I get bored of the sight of them if they go up too early.  My wife [who is usually right about all matters concerning what happens in the house] has just asked if we could put them up soon.  The village lights were being put up last night, and I saw weeks ago that they turned the lights on in London.  The Tesco's where I shop has had Christmas cards on the shelves since July.

And is it just me, or are other people seemingly putting their decorations up earlier now than they did in years past?  When I was growing up, we would put them up on the last day of school, which meant the tree was up about a week, or less, before Christmas.  Now however, my parents seem to be putting them up in early December.  Are others feeling compelled to put theirs up earlier now?

Any thoughts? 

6 comments:

John M Ward said...

My understanding is that they should not go up before 1st December, but can be as late as Christmas Eve.

Civic lights and suchlike can be put up and switched on earlier, but I think that's to catch Diwali as well, as much as anything else…

James Higham said...

December 1st.

Tarquin said...

Shops are definitely getting earlier - it's not even mid-november!

In my house it's something like the 6th December, or the first weekend in Dec - but occasionally its the 23rd...

Barking Spider said...

I'd say the same as the others, Daniel, usually anything from the 1st December right up to Christmas Eve.

hermit said...

I remember as a small child (a long time ago):
"Daaad, can we put the decorations up?"
"No, we do that on christmas eve."
"But we've put them up at school dad."
"That's because nobody will be at school to put them up on christmas eve."

Hence my concept of christmas eve tradition was born.
They crept forward over the years though, parallel with the growth of the consumerist binge (or should that read: the hard sell).

I'm a traditionalist though. No feeling compelled here.

Besides, we should all keep quiet. You never know who is reading and getting ideas about new regulations....

Daniel1979 said...

So, I will try to resist until the weekend before Christmas. Thanks everyone!