- Total personal debts stand at £1.46trillion. This includes Mortgages, Credit Cards and Personal Loans.
- The number of people seeking help from Debt agencies has risen 30% in the past year.
- According to the National Audit Office some [at least two] debt advice agencies are turning people away as their waiting lists are too long to be able to assist.
- The £1.46trillion is equal to £56,000 per household. This is 60% above the average pre-tax income.
- "Debt Experts" say that there will be 150,000 new bankruptcies this year, up 15% on last year.
- The Consumer Credit Counselling Service said its typical client has £24,300 of debt across 11 different creditors, painting a grim reality of modern life.
- The Government has committed to spend £142million in providing debt management services, mainly this is for free face to face counselling.