Here are the responses to my invitation to Jury Team Candidates, these are from John Wallace who is running in the Scotland Primary.
John's full Jury Team profile can be seen, here.
If you would like to vote for John in the Primary, text JOHWAL01 to 86837 (25p + Standard Rate)
Feel free to leave questions and comments in the comments field.
Please answer True or False to these statements:
1. The EU should have even more control over the governing of member states including the UK.
2. The EU is the future of Continental Europe; the UK should be less resistant to this and more willing to be engaged with EU partners.
3. The EU is fundamentally undemocratic in how it is made up and how it functions.
4. If elected to the EU Parliament I will always vote in favour of returning legislative powers to member states.
5. Countries like Iceland and Norway should be made to join the EU.
6. Ireland was wrong to vote NO in their referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.
7. The main reason why people are against the EU in the UK is because the Tabloid media runs scare stories.
8. I believe the UK should be a part of a federal Europe, whether as the UK or as component nations or regions.
9. The UK should leave the EU as swiftly and as amicably as possible.
10. The UK Parliament should be sovereign. No laws made by the EU should be above the law making decisions of the UK Parliament.
11. The UK and France should give up their seats on the UN Security Council in favour of an EU representative.
12. The city of London and UK financial institutions should be regulated by the EU.
13. The EU has kept peace in Europe for 60 years.
14. If the UK left the EU, it’s economy would never recover.
15. Plans should be made for the UK to join the EURO within the next five year sitting of the EU parliament
16. UK armed forces should answer to a European Military Chain of Command.
17. The EU should be allowed to collect taxes directly from European citizens and/or businesses.
18. There will never be war in Europe as long as the EU is strong.
19. The UK should not be allowed to declare war without the approval of the EU
20. The UK should be allowed a referendum whether it accepts the EU Lisbon Constitutional Treaty before it comes into force.
21. I am prepared to give up some small freedoms so that the UK and/or the EU governments can better protect us from terrorists.
22. The EU should have control of EU wide policing to make standard the same across Europe, as well as centrally gather intelligence.
23. UK Common Law is incompatible with European Courts. We should protect Common Law.
24. People who stand opposed to the EU should be punished.
25. The Eurovision Song Contest is a wonderful form of European entertainment and the voting is in no way rigged.
In no more than 200 words for each question, please tell us about the following:
Q. If you are elected to the EU Parliament, by what method and frequency will your expenses be made public?
My expenses would be made public at least monthly. Hopefully weekly. This is already on my website as part of my Contract with Constituents
Q. Have you ever stood for an elected position before?
Q. Do you have you own website or blog?
Yes – http://www.johnwallace.me.uk/
Q. Do you regularly read any particular newspapers or magazines? Who are your favourite writers/Journalists?
I regularly read lots of newspapers, magazines and blogs. I don’t have any favourite writers/journalists but I have some that are definitely not favourite
Q. Why did you decide to stand for Jury Team instead of an existing political party?
Independent and Anti-Sleaze automatically means no political party.
Q. What is the very first thing you will do in your official capacity if elected?
Finalise my “Contract with Constituents” within 24 hours.
Q. And, as you have been good enough to answer the above, in no more than 1,000 of your own words, tell us why we should vote for you.
Please read my website at www.johnwallace.me.uk and also read www.edinburghsucks.com (some saucy language) which I set up and supported since 2005.